Mainstay Veterinary Practice is now a “Gold Standard” Feline Friendly Accredited practice in Northern Virginia.
So what does that mean?
That means our practice is equipped with specific equipment, staff knowledge, atmosphere and feline handling skills. The American Association of Feline (AAFP) developed the Cat Friendly Program (CFP) to help support the ongoing needs of cats. The aim is to reduce the stress on the cat for the visit, improve the quality of care and engage a supportive veterinary team.
A “cat friendly” practice has embraced feline’s and have taken the extra step to make cats feel at home at the vet. The practice has to pass a comprehensive checklist in order to obtain the accreditation.
Mainstay Veterinary Practice offers the following to our feline guests:
- One designated “Cat Advocate” on staff. This individual must attend a two-day cat friendly conference yearly.
- A “Cat Only” exam rooms. This room has never been used for dogs and the door is always kept shut to help minimize the smell of dogs as much as possible.
- Cat pheromone’s diffused in the room periodically to provide a calming effect on the cats
- Cat specific thermometers that take the temperature via the ear canal
- A specific place to rest the cat carriers in the exam room
- A cat only scale in the exam room
- A cat only hospitalization ward that is separate from the other animals and has floor to ceiling glass doors to minimize smell
- Cat condos for hospitalization that allow cats to travel through multiple “rooms” of varying size to help them find their “safe place”